Monday, October 17, 2011

"How to Cap off a day" or "How God plans things"

My daughter, Becky thought that I should blog this:

I attended the funeral today of a long time friend and one time co-worker. It was at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Bridgman.  Joe Kamp (Little Joe) was tragically killed in a fiery crash on Wednesday.  It was a joy to be around Joe.  It seems that lately I had been seeing him mostly at funerals.  I almost expected to hear his infectious laugh yesterday at the visitation.

Following the funeral, Valerie and I took a ride down memory lane as we drove to Weko Beach.  Driving to the beach was an almost daily trek when I was growing up in Bridgman (especially since I worked four summers at Weko Beach).

As we drove back from the beach, I suggested a trip to Warren Dunes since we hadn't been there in a couple of years.  As we entered the parking lot, we read a sign that said, "Wheeled Vehicles Stay on Pavement."  This brought back memories of the times that I've been stuck in the sand. I've often said, "You can dig to the bottom of a snow drift but sand goes down forever."

As we pulled into the lot and looked at the dune, we noticed that on the far side of the lot a large white extended van was stuck up to its axle in the sand. We drove over to see if we could help. The visitors, a group of seniors from Chicago, were excited to see us. There were few cars in the lot and we had the only 4x4.

I backed up behind the van and retrieved my tow strap.  Having just come from the funeral, I was wearing a jacket and a tie so I was happy that the driver of the van got down to attach the strap to the van.  I did try to look under the bumper but all I got was a face-full of wind blown sand.

It only took a minute to hook up the strap, drop the Envoy into 4 low, and pull out the van.  I was proud of my Envoy but what made my day was the moment one of the women gave me a giant hug with the heartfelt exclamation of "God bless you!"

No comments: