Friday, April 25, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – April 25

So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Matthew 28:8

Back by popular demand!  Well actually several people were kind enough to mention to me that they missed my little daily Lenten devotions, so I’m going to give the old college try to continue these devotions.  My goal is to make them daily but I’m sure you will forgive me if I am unable to meet that goal.

Joy and fear are an unlikely combination of feelings. I can’t even begin to imagine what the two Marys were thinking. Their beloved friend who had been so brutally executed and buried was now alive!!! That’s what the angel had said. Now they must go and share this most wonderful news. 

This great news of Jesus’ resurrection also brings us joy.  Our sins are forgiven and heaven is our home. In spite of any fear I may have, I must go and tell about Jesus’ resurrection.

Martin Luther writes: “A Christian must accustom himself to think about Christ’s victory—the victory in which everything has already been accomplished and in which we have everything we should have. Henceforth we live only to spread among other people the news of what Christ has achieved” (Luther’s Works Vol. 24, page 421)

Prayer:  Thank you Lord for the wonderful news of Christ’s resurrection. Grant to me the joy of Christ’s victory every day of my life. Help me to share that wonderful news with people I love. Amen.

God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus


No comments: