Monday, April 28, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – April 28

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” John 20:28

It is unfortunate that St. Thomas acquired the moniker “Doubting Thomas.”  Indeed Thomas did doubt and in the most emphatic way when he declared --- “Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe.”

Yet how wonderful it is that Jesus in His mercy granted to Thomas the exact demonstration which he had demanded to remove his doubt and Thomas responded “My Lord and my God!”

Thomas’ great confession of faith is one that the whole Christian Church makes when we confess the Nicene Creed.  Jesus is indeed God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God.

May the Holy Spirit grant to us the faith of St. Thomas as we live in a world of skeptics.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for your generosity in appearing to Thomas at his doubting request. Grant that my prayer would ever be: Lord I believe. Help Thou my unbelief. Amen.



The Incredulity of Saint Thomas is a painting of the subject of the same name by the Italian Baroque master Caravaggio, c. 1601–1602. It is housed in the Sanssouci Palace, now a museum, in Potsdam, Berlin, Germany.

God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pastor. Your devotions are always so insightfull and I love them. Thanks again
se

Philip Quardokus said...

Thank you for your encouragement. God bless.