Friday, April 11, 2014

Lenten Devotion - Friday, April 11

Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Psalm 19:12 NIV

I was sitting at one of those lunch counters shaped like a narrow horseshoe where the food was served from the middle but you could look across at the people sitting on the other side who were looking back at you.

As I sat there, I struck up a conversation with a woman and a man who were sitting across from me.  All three of us were strangers to each other and shared the usual chit chat of those who are meeting for the first time.

The man directly across from me had a long flowing black beard.  I could tell that he must be on his way to some important meeting or event.  He was impeccably dressed and every hair on his head (including his beard) was perfectly in place. His face looked like it had been recently scrubbed with intense vigor.

Soon our food was served! I can’t remember what I had that day but I can clearly remember what the man with the beard was served! Halfway through our meal I looked up and saw that he had soft egg yolk streaming down his beard!!! It was one of those situations where it was hard not to stare.  I had to keep looking back.  Needless to say, it somewhat spoiled my breakfast.

What to do? I didn’t know this man and neither did the woman sitting next to him (who was spared the frontal assault of an egg stained beard).

I knew that someone would surely tell him about the egg on his face but I must report that I did not have that privilege. To this day, I hope that he went into the restroom and looked in the mirror before his important encounter that he had so carefully prepared for.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, you know my heart. You know all of my sins even the ones that I am not aware of. Grant me forgiveness for all of these sins for Christ’s sake. Amen.

God’s richest blessings in Christ,
Pastor Philip Quardokus

Download a pdf of all the Lenten devotions here.


No comments: