Friday, March 28, 2014

Lenten Devotion - Friday, March 28

For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” John 6:40

Luther’s Small Catechism reads:

 Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

What does this mean? The good and gracious will of God is done even without our prayer, but we pray in this petition that it may be done among us also.

How is God’s will done? God’s will is done when He breaks and hinders every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful nature, which do not want us to hallow God’s name or let His kingdom come; and when He strengthens and keeps us firm in His Word and faith until we die.
This is His good and gracious will.

I have heard silly questions asked by well meaning Christians. Here are a couple examples of those types of silly questions, “I wonder if it is God’s will for me today to shop at Walmart or Meijer.” “Is it God’s will for me to wear green or red today.” (I admit that I’m making those questions up, but they represent the kinds of things that some Christians fret over.)

God has given us perfect freedom to make decisions in our lives when choosing between none sinful activities.  Some decisions may exhibit a greater or lesser degree of wisdom, but we are free to choose without worrying if we are violating God’s will.

However, it is never God’s will for us to sin! I have actually heard this type of faulty logic: “God wants me to be happy! I can only be happy if I break a promise or commitment that I've made, therefore God wants me to be unfaithful to my promises.”

What is God’s good and perfect will for you?  It is God’s will for you to believe in His Son and receive eternal life and be raised on the last day! Thy will be done!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for sending Jesus into the world to be my Savior.  Thank you that in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus struggled with the prospect of the cross, He declared, “Not my will but Thine be done.” Amen.

God’s richest blessings in Christ,
Pastor Philip Quardokus

Download a pdf of all the Lenten devotions here.


No comments: