Thursday, March 06, 2014

Lenten Devotion - Thursday, March 6

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Matthew 7:7

Luther continues in the Large Catechism, “Before we explain the Lord’s Prayer part by part, it is most necessary first to encourage and stir people to prayer, as Christ and the apostles also have done.”

I have arrived at a time in my life that I often qualify for a senior discount. (How did I get so old?)  Some time ago when I was first offered a senior drink at a fast food restaurant, I was somewhat taken aback. Now whenever I have to pay admission or eat at a fast food place, I ask for a senior discount.  It took me a while to get to this point.  At first I found it embarrassing and a bit demeaning to ask but I soon discovered that a senior discount is seldom offered without asking.

Christians may be hesitant to go to God in prayer. We may either feel it is unnecessary or that we aren't important enough to be heard.  Both of these notions are false. God does indeed know our needs before we ask (Matt 6:8), but He instructs us to ask. You never have to worry whether or not God wants to hear from you.  He always does.  To give you that confidence, He directs you to ask.

Likewise, you may sometimes be paralyzed by fear when coming before someone of immense authority and power (Think of the Cowardly Lion and the Great and Powerful Oz). At these times God wants you to know that He is your loving Father and you may come without fear to Him with all your needs.

Our Father who art in heaven.
What does this mean? With these words God tenderly invites us to believe that He is our true Father and that we are His true children, so that with all boldness and confidence we may ask Him as dear children ask their dear father.

Prayer: Dear Father in heaven, thank you for your overwhelming love for us in Jesus and His cross.  Help me always remember that through my baptism, I have become your child and an heir of grace. Amen.

God’s richest blessings in Christ,
Pastor Philip Quardokus


Download a pdf of all the Lenten devotions here.


No comments: