Sunday, June 22, 2014

Devotion for The Second Sunday after Pentecost, June 22

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. Matthew 10:29

I have bird feeders in my back yard. This past week several times I noticed two small woodpeckers on a feeder at the same time. This was unusual. Normally, woodpeckers and larger birds will feed only one at a time, so I watched these two more closely.

Pretty soon I saw something even stranger. One of the woodpeckers would get a small piece of nut in its beak and then give it to the other woodpecker.  Very interesting indeed! This happened over and over.

I told my wife and she suggested that maybe this was a parent and child. I’m not an ornithologist but that did seem reasonable.

This was a very touching scene, one small creature helping another. It is easy to become so self-absorbed that we forget about the needs of people and creatures around us. But God never forgets.  He cares for all, even sparrows. But He cares for you more!  Not only does He provide the tidbits that we eat, He provides all that we have.  But more than that He provides the Savior! He cares for you so much that He sent His only-begotten Son to set you free from sin, death and the devil.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for caring for me and giving me all that I need to support my body and life. Even more than that, thank you for the gift of my Savior, Jesus.  Grant that I may learn to care for others.





God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus



No comments: