Friday, June 06, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – June 6

Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. John 17:11

Today is the 70th anniversary of D-Day.  Although I have heard of D-Day my entire life, have seen movies and have read books about this important event, I know that it would be impossible to tell the complete story of that day. The stories of valor and sacrifice are witnessed to by the rows upon rows of crosses marking the graves of these valiant fallen heroes.

There is another story of D-Day that attracts less attention. It is the massive amount of planning and preparation for this one day and the days that followed. Every detail was attended to, every plan prepared, every soldier trained, all without the aid of computers! How could such an undertaking be accomplished without iPhones and laptops? What made D-Day possible was a unity of purpose that is impossible for us in the 21st century to understand.  We live in a world where personal preference dominates every aspect of our lives. Unity is seldom the goal rather it is individualism and self-focus.

In His High Priestly Prayer in John 17, Jesus prays for the Christian people to be one. Unity among Christians is highly prized. Yet in our time it seems as though there is little chance for this unity. In almost every aspect of our faith, individualism and personal preference seem to dominate. Since I can personalize my smart phone, I should also be able to personalize my worship life. Since I can discover any opinion on the internet, certainly my opinion about faith is as important as any others. I am spiritual but not religious.  Is this what Jesus was praying about?

Sin is as prevalent as ever in our world.  It may have been more obvious 70 years ago as we remember the atrocities of World War II, but the extreme nature of that evil may only give us a false confidence in believing that we aren’t so bad. “Love your neighbor as yourself” is as hard to find today as ever. It continues to affect the Church today as it will until the end of time.

Still in Christ, we are all one! Jesus died for all and those who believe in Him are united in One, Holy, Christian, and Apostolic Church.  As the Day of Pentecost approaches we remember that unity is a gift of the Holy Spirit. It may not be seen in our sinful world but it will be evident on the ultimate D-Day, the day of Christ’s return when He will raise me and all the dead, and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for all who have sacrificed to give me freedom. I especially thank You for Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.  Grant that I may learn to live and love as He did so that in Christ we may rejoice in the unity of our faith. Amen.



Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cimeti%C3%A8re_am%C3%A9ricain_de_Colleville-sur-Mer.JPG


God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus



No comments: