Thursday, June 05, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – June 5

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
1 Peter 5:8-9

There are two differing attitudes toward life described in the Bible but both point to the same truth. One of these is Luke 12:13-20, The Parable of the Rich Fool:

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’

In contrast to the philosophy of “relax, eat, drink, be merry,” Peter warns, “Be sober-minded; be watchful.” Of course Peter is not saying, “Never be happy or joyful” but rather both portions of scripture remind us to keep our eyes on the prize.  We should never let our earthly condition distract us from our eternal joy.  Neither wealth nor poverty, neither distress nor tranquility, neither feast nor famine, should ever be a motivation to leave Christ and His Church.

Satan is only too eager to use your temporary condition in this world to lead you away from the love of God in Christ Jesus. May we ever be watchful for his wiles.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE
An American Folk Song

Paul and Silas, bound in jail
Had no money for to go their bail
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on
Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Paul and Silas began to shout
Doors popped open, and all walked out
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on
Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Well, the only chains we can stand
Are the chains of hand in hand
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Got my hand on the freedom plow
Wouldn't take nothing for my journey now
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on
Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, darling

Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on
Hold on (hold on), hold on (hold on)
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for the eternal riches of heaven and the peace and joy of Christ. Grant that I may never be distracted by earthly blessings or suffering. Amen.


Daniel in the Lions' Den
Peter Paul Rubens 1577 – 1640

oil on canvas (224 × 330 cm) — 1615
National Gallery of Art, Washington DC

http://www.artbible.info/art/large/133.html

God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus


No comments: