Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – May 14

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23:1

The 23rd Psalm is one of the most cherished portions of scripture.  It is almost as familiar to people as the Lord’s Prayer.  When I read the 23rd Psalm at a bedside very often people in the room join me speaking the words from memory.

“The Lord is my shepherd” is a comforting statement. God in His mercy cares for me with all of the sensitivity and concern that a shepherd has for his sheep.  There is tenderness in the Lord’s care that is beyond compare.  Certainly the Lord’s greatest act of caring was sending Jesus to be my Savior so that I can dwell in the house of the Lord forever!

One way to add calm and peace to your day is to read the 23rd Psalm multiple times during the day.  One older pastor suggests reading it carefully and thoughtfully five times a day: once when you get up then again at each meal and finally at bedtime. It has been his experience that when people try this, their lives have been changed for the better.

Psalm 23 (ESV)

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Prayer: O Shepherd of my soul, remind me of your constant care. When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, keep me from fear.  Let me recognize your goodness and mercy all the days of my life as I await living in your house for all eternity. Amen.



Stained glass at St John the Baptist's Anglican Church
Ashfield, New South Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StJohnsAshfield_StainedGlass_GoodShepherd_Portrait.jpg

God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus


No comments: