Saturday, May 17, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – May 17

For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. Psalm 95:7

Today is the last day of Good Shepherd week and we haven’t begun to exhaust this incredible theme found in Holy Scripture expressing God’s compassionate love for us. Psalm 95:7 may be one of the more familiar shepherd verses for you. We sing it as part of Matins. The Latin name for Psalm 95 is Venite!

Matins is a morning service. In the English church it is called Morning Prayer.  In Luther’s time Matins was sung every morning during the week therefore the people began each day singing:
“He is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.”

While Good Shepherd week has come to a close, may we also be reminded each day that “He is our God.”  He is the God of creation.  He is the God who cared for the people of old and led them out of bondage in Egypt through the Red Sea and wilderness to the Promised Land.  He is the one who set David on his throne and promised the coming King who would be greater than David and all other kings.  He is the one who sent the prophets and their words of comfort. He is the one who promised a Savior.  He is the one who sent His only-begotten Son. He is the one who sent the Good Shepherd to lay down His life for the sheep.

And we are the sheep of His pasture. He lovingly cares for us each day.  He comes to seek and save the lost sheep who have wandered and strayed.  He makes us lie down in green pastures. He restores our soul. He anoints our head with oil. He makes our cups overflow. He brings us to dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Prayer: O Good Shepherd, thank you for your tender care. Grant that I may always be your little lamb and when my short life is ended may I by your angels be attended. Amen.



I Am Jesus' Little Lamb

I am Jesus’ little lamb,
Ever glad at heart I am;
For my Shepherd gently guides me,
Knows my need and well provides me,
Loves me ev’ry day the same,
Even calls me by my name.

Day by day, at home, away,
Jesus is my staff and stay.
When I hunger, Jesus feeds me,
Into pleasant pastures leads me;
When I thirst, He bids me go
Where the quiet waters flow.

Who so happy as I am,
Even now the Shepherd’s lamb?
And when my short life is ended,
By His angel host attended,
He shall fold me to His breast,
There within His arms to rest.

Public domain

God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus


No comments: