Thursday, May 01, 2014

Eastertide Devotion – St. Philip and St. James, Apostles, May 1

Believe me that I am in the Father. John 14:11

Many of us share names with Bible characters. I have the privilege of sharing my name with the Apostle Philip (One “L” !!!). I take pride in reading about Philip when he does something noble for example when he finds Nathanael and invites him to come and see Jesus.

Today is Philip’s Day (along with James).  The Gospel lesson for today paints Philip in a less favorable light:

Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him,  “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. John 14:8-11.

Let us always remember that we see God most clearly not in creation but in the love He has for us in Jesus Christ.  During this time of Easter we are reminded that this love for us is most clearly displayed in the cross and empty tomb!

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for Philip, James and all the Apostles who have brought your message of salvation into the world. During this spring time, help me look past the beauty of the flowers and blossoms to the beauty of your love for us in Christ Jesus, our Savior. Amen.



St. Philip, by Peter Paul Rubens, 
from his Twelve Apostles series (c. 1611),
 at the Museo del Prado, Madrid


God’s richest blessings in Christ,

Pastor Philip Quardokus


No comments: